Sunday, March 11, 2007

INLAND EMPIRE - David Lynch Unrestrainded!!!

Yes, INLAND EMPIRE is a full 3 hours David Lynch assault to the senses. Did I like it? Yes, I think I did. Actually, I may love it. I need to process it. While I did find it a bit long, I was never bored and I my eyes, ears and mind were stuck to the screen the entire time. This is a film which seems to require multiple viewings. There were more than a few people in the audience who had seen it twice already. Hypnotic, oddly gorgeous, without linear thought/plot, brilliant performance from Laura Dern, horrific, confused, lost and funny --- if you like David Lynch you will not want to miss it. I plan on seeing it again with my pals Ing and Alan. I am still trying to figure it all out in my head. What did all those symbols mean? Most importantly, what does it symbolize to have Nastassja Kinski sit on a sofa while Suicide Girl types dance and lip sync to the late/great Nina Simone? I guess she could stand for a lot of things. And, why the Beck song? Word to the wise: if you do see it -- stay thru the final credits! I love that the cinema in which I saw the movie was playing selections from the new Tom Waits compilation CD! Quite fitting! I guess, ultimately, if one must ascribe a meaning to this film --- and I'm not entirely sure one should --- perhaps it is about the loss of identity of an actress. So, deep into her role(s) she becomes lost in an endless loop of plot. ...A woman in trouble.

No comments: